Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cardiac Ward


For Linda
Only the planes are missing.
No screeching choirs of excitement.
Just the constant unsettling arrhythmia of beeps and pings 
And a thousand garbled words 
A relentless tsunami of communication, sad, earnest, factual, urgent and hideously cheerful
The roar of butterflies.  
Fluttering around in the chest of my imagination.
Induces stabs of darting panic. You’re not there. 
A long wave of creeping malignant fear. 
Stops me
dead.
Then suddenly out of the aloneness an explosion of joy.
You come running towards me. 
You’re wearing a long woollen coat. It must be cold,
I think there is a brooch on your lapel the way you like it.
The railway station somewhere in Europe après la guerre
Whether you are beside me or not
In the two AM meld of breathing together 
There lies, always insinuating in the gloom,
the faint distant fear of eternal separation.
Inexorable, headlights on the horizon real.
But the little group of islands of you and me and me and you
Disappearing and re-appearing
Are the sepia photographs of the future. 
The destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment